13. GLOBAL INFORMATION SOCIETY: +1
"We will support public and private efforts to increase the use of information and communication technologies for development and encourage international organizations to assess the appropriate role which they can play."
- While the United States is a leader in Internet usage and software development, government interaction is minimal.
- The President has promised that every classroom in America will be connected to the Internet by the year 2000.
- At the Executive level, negative statements have been made by President Clinton and Vice-President Gore have been in support of government controlled encryption methods, designed to allowed the equivalent of "wire-tapping" personal data transmissions.
- Recent signatory to the Information Technology Agreement which, in part will liberalize up to $1 trillion in trade. There are plans to continue this process with ITA II.
- In summary, despite the consideration of encryption controls, the Administration has been very supportive of the development of information technology.