February 20, 1994
1. Nigel Lawson: The View from No. 11 London: Corgi Books, 1993, p.510.
2. Prime Minister John Major, in the House of Commons, 12 July 1993.
3. "We have reviewed the procedures of the Meetings in order to increase the substantive content of the discussions. We have agreed to have more frequent and "informal" meetings with shorter, crisper communiqués or occassionally without them, although at times communiqués indicating coordinated actions could be considered in order to send appropriate signals to economic agents." - G-7 Finance Ministers' Report to the Tokyo Summit, 25 June 1993.
4. Confidential interview with author.
5. Confidential interview with author.
6. Confidential interview with author.
7. J. Rollo, "Economic Policy Co-ordination", Speech to the Royal Institute of International Affairs, 7 October 1993.
8. J. Martin, "G-7's annual gathering borders on the irrelevent", Financial Times, 9 July 1992.
9. P. Horvitz, "Few Fans of the G-7 Process Among the Leaders in Tokyo", International Herald Tribune, 9 July 1993.
10. W. R. Smyser, "Goodbye, G-7", The Washington Quarterly, vol. 16, no. 1, Winter 1993, p. 23.
11. D. Hurd, U.K. Foreign Secretary, television interview, Tokyo, 8 July 1993.
12. R. Putnum and N. Bayne: Hanging Together: Cooperation and Conflict in the Seven-Power Summits, revised ed. (London: Sage Publications, 1987), p.166.
13. See, for example: W. Dobson Economic Policy Coordination: Requiem or Prologue? (Washington, D.C.: Institute for International Economics, 1991); S. Ostry, et al.,The Summit Process and Collective Security: Future Responsibility Sharing (Washington, D.C.: Group of Thirty, 1991.).
14. The letter has not been made public, but an apparently accurate summary was published in the Financial Times, 10 September 1992.
15. A. Savill: "G-7 haggle over future meetings", The Independent, 7 July 1993.
16. Confidential Interview with author.
17. Confidential Interview with author.
18. The Financial Times, 15 February 1994.
19. Confidential Interview with author.
20. Confidential Interview with author.
21. Confidential Interview with author.
22. Confidential Interview with author.
23. Confidential Interview with author.
24. Confidential Interview with author.
25. N. Bayne "The Course of Summitry", The World Today, February 1992, p.30.
||This Information System is provided by the University of Toronto Library and the G8 Research Group at the University of Toronto.|
Please send comments to:
This page was last updated .