28. We are confident that, with perseverance, the energy goals we set at Venice for the decade can be achieved, enabling us to break the link between economic growth and oil consumption through structural change in our energy economies.
29. Recognizing that our countries are still vulnerable and energy supply remains a potential constraint to a revival of economic growth, we will accelerate the development and use of all our energy sources, both conventional and new, and continue to promote energy savings and the replacement of oil by other fuels.
30. To these ends we will continue to rely heavily on market mechanisms, supplemented as necessary by government action.
31. Our capacity to deal with shortterm oil market problems should be improved, particularly through the holding of adequate levels of stocks.
32. In most of our countries progress in constructing new nuclear facilities is slow. We intend in each of our countries to encourage greater public acceptance of nuclear energy, and respond to public concerns about safety, health, nuclear waste management and nonproliferation. We will further our efforts in the development of advanced technologies, particularly in spent fuel management.
33. We will take steps to realize the potential for the economic production, trade and use of coal and will do everything in our power to ensure that its increased use does not damage the environment.
34. We also intend to see to it that we develop to the fullest possible extent sources of renewable energy such as solar, geothermal and biomass energy. We will work for practical achievements at the forthcoming United Nations Conference on New and Renewable Sources of Energy.
35. We look forward to improved understanding and cooperation with the oil-exporting countries in the interests of the world economy.
|This Information System is provided by the University of Toronto Library and the G8 Research Group at the University of Toronto.|
Please send comments to:
Revised: February 09, 2007.
All contents copyright © 1995. University of Toronto unless otherwise stated. All